Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Bibliotheque Pompidou

I'm currently at the centre pompidou- there's a free library here and it let's you use it's wifi for and hour and a half a day- I sort of get wireless at my house anyways but i was going a little nutty hanging out there so i decided i wanted to check this out. I'm very glad i did- not just because of the coolness of the library but also because across the street is a grocery store called "Ed" where i found chocolate chip cookies- COOKIES!! - the french don't understand cookies- and consequently their grocery stores don't sell them. But this place sells two types and the one I purchesed had a very american themed box. I also discovered something that resembled fig newtons- i looove fig newtons.

I'm half way through my first week of classes and things are going well. I can understand the proffessors at Paris III as long as i listen and watch them talk- I've discovered that this is actually very important for my level of comprehension- seeing the lips moving. Wehn some students in the class were asking questions and i couldn't see them it was strangly difficult to follow what they were saying. At Paris III all my courses are for first year students so they all look so young- they also all seem to be brunettes and short- I sort of like getting to introduce myself to the professor and explain that i'm an American student and observing the reaction of other students in the class. One guy definitly sized me up after I had announced this as if to say- american? really? niiice.. But in general the other students seem to be pretty nice. They're cinema people so you can sort of pick out the ones that think one day they're going to direct the next great film or at least spend the rest of their lives consorting with deep thoughts in smoky bars. Some of these people are extremely annoying and enjoy professing their "unique"opinions which are so highly not original. But really I still find this sort of entertaining. I'm a little confused about what work i'm actually supposed to be doing- most of the classes have one exam and one paper and then a list of books that we could read if we feel inclined- I would love to read the books , but which ones? should i buy them or just go to a library and read them there?

I'm in the midst of attempting to enroll in a rowing club- but like all things in France this is going to take an absurd amount of time and an absurd amount of documents and photocopying.

5 comments:

Leah said...

YAY cookies!!! (PS the cooks here seem to have gotten a hold of your mom's mac and cheese recipe!!!!)

Me said...

must love the people who think they're all that,

I have quite a few professors who LOVE to put those kids in their place... I hope you get to witness such a thing...

(GO COOKIES!!!!!)

Jess-Beast said...

I want to see this library... 0.0

I hope you're having fun with your film classes-- you'll be more certified than me when you get back.

Oh-- by the way the Bath Program begins Jan 28th, 2007 (as in that's the day I have to arrive).

SusannaMMMerrill said...

My mainstream class is like yours in that I don't really know what I'm supposed to be doing, but unlike yours in that no one talks in class, ever, and they seem completely uninterested. Also, I don't ever understand it.
I'm glad you found cookies. Russian's eat a lot of cookies, but not in my house. I've yet to have chocolate chip. Maybe I should make some, but I've never seen the oven been used so I'm not sure it works.

Susan said...

Oh my god why do French people take so much time to do EVERYTHING??? I still don't have my student card. And they won't process the information until all the Midd people have turned their stuff in. It's more than a little ridiculous.