Friday, November 02, 2007

Toussaints

i am currenlty eating peanut butter out of a jar- need to stop. It's my last jar- but soooo good.

My metro train ran someone over this week. I'm still really disturbed by this. When the train stopped suddenly and the loud speaker said someone was under the train- that we all needed to get off- i didn't really understand what they meant. Huge crowds gathered by the front of the train and people were taking pictures, I guess they could see the man. Another woman rushing by me asked "Il est mort?"= "He's dead?" I didn't know- I didn't even really know what they meant by someone was 'under the train' until i saw someone else describing the scene to another making choping gestures at the torso. I can only guess what this meant- i chose not to stick around and find out or try to look as the rest of the people from the train were. I caught another train at the same station on another line, but the rest of the ride home was accompanied by the loud speaker announcing that "line 2 is closed temporarily due to a serious accident with a passanger" It sounded more eerie in French where "serious" is "grave" and hence just conjures up images of death.

Ironically this was halloween. Halloween otherwise was very pleasant- not actually a holiday here, but I celebrated by going on a trip to the Catacombs and Pere Lachaise. Pere Lachaise was amazingly beautiful and peaceful, especially for a cemetary. It's on a hill facing west and the sun was setting through autumn leaves. It's also known for the famous people buried there- people used to go to Morrisson's grave to smoke pot, but now they've put up a fence and apparently kick out loiterers. Chopin's there, as are Delacroix, Moliere and Oscar Wilde. There are new pictures up on my link (which by the way seems to only work with internet explorer- at least for me fire fox doesn't show the pictures.)

1 comment:

SusannaMMMerrill said...

Oh, I'm sorry about the metro horribleness, Laurel Jean. That sounds awful.