Friday, December 14, 2007

Garfield

First of all I just wanted to report that last weekend I went to a christmas concert at the american church and I saw possibly the most amazing rendition of "Hallalujah" aka the pop song, not some sort of church amen, sung by a children's choir. They also pulled off an amazing rendition of the French version of White Christmas, which struck me as ironic since I fear that the children of France, and in fact of most french cultures have very little chance of seeing snow almost any time of year, let alone in December. I would highly bet that the version was made by a Quebequois. But now that it is sung all about it just seems unjust for the poor french children who must sing about wanting a white christmas and then never having one.

Also, during the carol's at the end, I discovered it is very difficult to sing in French. I mean theoretically at this point I know how to sing, and I know how to speak French. But the french annunciate differently and I've never really mastered the French accent where the first sylable becomes softened and you carry out the end. This has been demonstrated many times by our language professor as he excentuates the pronunciation of his name patriiiiiiiiiiiiiccK (the i sort of makes an sound like e), I now find it very difficult to say the name Patrick as most good americans would, but I have yet to arrive at pronouncing my entire french lexicon in such a manner. This doesn't actually really matter, it just means I have an american accent, which is apparently dreamy according to a female proffesor we had- though i'm not sure if it then applies to girls. But let's hope so. But it does apparently matter when singing, because the entire rhythem of the song is changed. I therefore found myself quite consistanlty about half a word behind.

I also this week discovered a Garfield strip printed in French. John is sooo much funnier in French. Actually just the fact that he speaks french is what I find amusing. But it also somehow places him in another context in my mind and Garfield's cold stare just seems to fit then. Like the disgruntled disapprovement of many a frenchmen i've seen before. In this particular edition, perhaps you've seen the english one? John is telling garfield about his light up tie, and the entire punchline is Garfield thinking "you make an easy target" which i guess in english also could have been something like "you make it too easy". trust me, it was funny in french.

2 comments:

Susan said...

You should read Calvin and Hobbes in French. It's great. I now own six of them.

Leah said...

I think I can kind of imagine the French accentual rhythm or whatever that you are trying to describe. But...yeah...just with pronunciation it was different to sing in French for the Chorus and Glee Clubs. I get so confused singing in French and Latin since I know how these languages work normally!