Sunday, September 09, 2007

Alarming

Blogger has suddenly become french.. I didn't change any settings - but apparently it knows where i am. I guess i'm really here then- that is alarming.

I don't want to get my hopes up to early- but i think i can actually speak French. I mean of course i sound completely American with every word that exits my mouth- but i can actaully understand people- and read things- and say things. So even if i'm not fluent - i'm at least something. My first actual conversation was with the guardienne of the building who let me in - gave me various demonstrations about what codes to dial, what keys to use, and what buttons to press. I tried to joke about how huge my bags were- and we both actually chuckled together when we saw how large my bag was compared to the size of the spiral staircase that takes me to the second floor of the apartment- where my room is.

The only thing purchased so far in france was a baguette from the Boulangerie on the corner. I then proceeded to walk around tearing off bits and eating it.. which i soon realised to be a faux pas or at least something that probably marked me as a tourist - i think this is equivelant to going to the grocery store- buying a loaf of bread and then proceeding to walk about town eating slices of it. But i couldn't remember the code to my front door and the "guardienne" wasn't home so i had no other appealing options.

Pictures and other news to come soon.

4 comments:

Leah said...

Je suis tres heureuse pour toi!!!!! Je t'aime!!!!

Jess-Beast said...

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Miss you. Love you.

dale said...

Laurel
you arrived - good for you! I am anxious to read of your adventures! Bon soir!
dale (aka Mama Mayer)

Ashley said...

There have been times when i've wanted to walk around eating slices of bread off a loaf