Sunday, September 16, 2007
An American in Paris
I went to the American Cathedral for service this morning - it's this amercian protestant church in the city but the service is in english and most of the members are American or english and we sing american hymns- i can't describe to you how amazing this was. The first thing i saw was that the little kneeling stool in my pew said "Vermont" on it- this was the beginning of holding back tears of joy. I don't know why but there's just something so different being in a place that recognizes and understands the different States-I wasn't just from The U.S. , I was from Vermont. I also talked to a woman in the pew in front of me who was from New Jersey- she was there just for a few days but she had lived in Paris for awhile several years ago. I forgot how nice church people are.. especially american church people. Singing the hymns was more amazing than ever before. After the service i found where the Vermont flag was hanging in the church- this again was a pretty amazing moment.. realizing that all of the 50 states had a flag hanging in the sanctuary. That and this being the first time i had spoken any English since arriving made the morning basically amazing- Not that i detest speaking French most of the time- it's just so nice to know that there is somewhere i can go for retreat when i feel like I really need it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Oh...that sounds so nice!!!
LWH (Leah was here.)
: )
Natasha says Middlebury was on the news, in Siberia. There were pictures of Frog Hollow. This almost related to your post.
What hymns did you sing? I'm very glad you had such a good experience.
That's beautiful. I always forget how nice church is...
that sounded like it was awesome, I'm glad you have a little piece of the states to stay with you.
you should hopefully get a letter from me sometime soon look for it next week it should be there by then.
Post a Comment