Wednesday, October 26, 2005

OED, and other things that make me fall asleep


18 school days till vacation!!!

i have my oed class tommarow morning, which means snooze time. (did i tell you two people fell asleep in class last week! that's like 15% of the class) the professor, i've come to realize, enjoys listening to himself talk way to much. hence, even though it's a "seminar" in which we should be having "conversations" it's more like we say five words and he takes whatever we said turns it into his own idea and talks about it for 20 minutes, even if he has to repeat himself ten times to fill the time. he also has really strange ideas sometimes. like last week he told us how a few "isolate murders" are "really great" for property values in the area because it takes us off the list of really safe places to live that all the people from new york apparently read, so they don't want to move here. it was strange enough the first time he said it but he decided to reiterate the fact that "a few murders here and there can be good". then tuesday he talked about how the word rape has been changed to sexual harrasment in most legal contexts. this was emphasized by the reminising of how when he was a kid "you raped somebody", and "what is this 'sexual harrasment', it has no emotion behind it!"

he's recruited Erin, of "erin's weird and wonderful word of the day" that we're required to recieve in our email every day, to come to middlebury next tuesday. i believe she's an editor for the oxford english dictionary, which if you're my proffesseur, is a really cool thing. I'm currently finishing my third book about the OED, and have to start the fourth... aggg. after awhile you start to know all these meaningless characters. it's like my little OED family: James Murry, Furnivall, Dr. Jowett and all the others.. i never wanted to know them, they're just the insane family that won't leave.

have to be headed to bed, i didn't get a nap today, although i did manage to fall asleep and drool on one of the couches in the Center for the Arts while trying to read "caught in the web of words", not one of my shining moments.

Nighty night

6 comments:

Leah said...

Yeah...I'm heading to bed really early tonight! I did go to bed at 2:30, so I probably got 4.5 hours of sleep last night.

Myles said...

I should go to bed early, the girl next to me in politics has to hit me to keep me awake. lol

...I still got an A on the midterm though. The class is like We the People all over again

Me said...

It is now 4 in the morning and I know I will not be sleeping tonight and I have class till 4 tomorrow.

So dont cross me tomorrow because I will be an even bigger BITCH than I have been in years.

just a warning

Laurel said...

katie!! why!? hope you can get more sleep today.

Laurel said...

if it makes you hate me a little less i didn't go to bed till 12(in no way is this any comparison to 4am, just saying slightly later than 9:30), after doing a bit more homework.

Jess-Beast said...

For the past four days (Sunday night through Wendsday night) I didn't fall asleep until 1 or 2 am. It was horrible- especially because I need to get up at 7:00 every morning- and the room is freezing so one does not generally want to leave the warmness of blankets and covers!

~Jess^_^