i take back everything i said about classes being easy. i just got back from my bio class and i have no idea what the profeseur was talking about. I want to crawl in a hole and sleep for the next four months. this sucks
I found the classes web site-here's an answer he gives trying to Clarify the topic omg!!! what the hell is going on!!!:
There were many questions on the origin of RNA and cells. The truth of the matter is that no one really knows how the first cell came to be. RNA can self polymerize (form phosphodiester bonds between monomers) in the laboratory, indicating that it might have done this on the abiotic Earth. Autocatalysis and copying also occur in laboratory settings and thus may have occurred long ago. Short RNAs can be made to ‘reproduce’ in solution. The hammerhead ribozyme was an example of a functional 40 base RNA that exists today, again, provided as evidence that such chemistry could have happened abiotically. Evidence suggests that RNA that had self-polymerized was encapsulated in a protobiont (lipid sphere) and thus was protected. In a modern sense, this is not a cell. But on the abiotic Earth it was probably the most cellular of all organic molecule combinations that existed. The definitions of life blur at the beginning.
Wednesday, September 14, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Oh my God, Laurel!
I'm sad now, you're going to come home on vacations and I won't be able to understand what you're talking about. I never really thought about it before that the time of us all knowing the same things is at an end. Ever after I shall feel sooooooo stupid compaired to you.
That was not meant to make you feel bad...by all means learn everything that comes you're way and make the world a better place the way I know you will.
I love you,
Leah
Post a Comment